Friday, March 9, 2012

OJUKWU AND I: Tribute to Dim Chukwuemeka Odumegwu-Ojukwu

Never mind I once referred to him as a ‘rebel leader’. That was the appropriate language for the official perception of his role at that time. But he was His Excellency, Col Chukwuemeka Odumegwu-Ojukwu, Military, Governor of Eastern Nigeria.

Left-Governor obi(Anambra State),Odumegwu-Ojukwu,his wife ,Bianca.

However, I can testify that he, then Col Emeka Ojukwu,now Dim Chukwuemeka Odumegwu-Ojukwu who passed on 26th November last year (2011)was not only a remarkable and interesting man, he was also a brave and courageous soldier-statesman. I say this because I knew him as a colleague and he was my friend.

However, owing to the fact that we were on opposing sides of the Civil War, many had thought that Emeka and I were arch-enemies. We were not. I never refer to him or the Igbo privately, personally, and officially as enemies. However, as leader of the government of Eastern Nigeria that sought to break away from Nigeria (a factor that led to the civil war) ,Military Governor Ojukwu was seen as my adversary because at the time I was the head of the Federal Military Government of Nigeria.

But I did not see Emeka Ojukwu as a hostile adversary or enemy, and the worst endeared way I could describe him was a ‘rebel’. We were friends and colleagues before the events leading to the civil war and I would like to point out that we were contemporaries after he enlisted as a graduate cadet officer and later commissioned into the Nigerian Army and joined us in 1958.

I believe that Ojukwu and I had one thing in common. We were both principled men, and it might even be said that the Civil War resulted largely because we both stuck to our principles. We swore an oath of Loyalty to our country to defend and preserve the sovereignty and territorial integrity of our country, Nigeria. This was the ideal we both held, before the crisis that engulfed the country in 1966-1967. I conclude in all honesty that Emeka Ojukwu could be justified in taking a stand for the defence of his people in the circumstance of the country at that time.

I was trying to do the same at the national level at that time. I understood and respected his position, but not the extreme position he took, which I felt was misguided. I wish we had toiled more to avoid secession. I strongly believe that if Ojukwu was in my shoes, he would have done the same as I did during those crucial days. What was done was a not out of personal or group hatred. Emeka was never my enemy, nor are the Igbos. We never disliked each other; we only disliked the stands and actions taken by each other.

The cumulative effects of events of 1966-67 unfortunately brought about the schism between us personally and officially that ultimately led to the unfortunate Civil War of 1967-70, which regrettably brought out the best and the worst of our human nature.

Thankfully, efforts from both sides brought about the resolution of our crisis, with Ojukwu in the interest of his people to have peace, left to sue for peace, and for his successors to end the armed conflict, and for the Federal side to offer a ‘No Victor No Vanquished’ policy and a rubost programme of the 3Rs- Reconciliation, Rehabilitation and Reconstruction Programme, which heralded the historic reconciliation, to the credit Nigerians from both sides of the divide.

I feel happy that ultimately Nigeria was preserved and reconciled and enabled Ojukwu to return to Nigeria to continue to contribute his quota to the growth and development of a new and better Nigeria. It is also interesting that he was able to contest elections into the highest office in the land. He will always remain relevant to our history, history of Nigeria by the legacy he had left behind.

After the war, when we were both exiles and outside the country, Emeka on a visit to the UK made a telephone call to my house in London while I was at the University of Warrick, spoke to my wife Victoria and left his telephone number and contact address with her. On my return home at the weekend, I reciprocated, by calling and visiting him in his hotel Mont Calm Hotel, Marble Arch ,in London where I could say our personal and initial reconciliation began and sealed the national reconciliation that had earlier taken place in Nigeria.

Thereafter, we had met many times in various parts of the country, endorsing our personal and national reconciliation. I was also able to visit him in Enugu after our Nigeria Prays Programme in that city in April 2010. I paid a condolence visit to him and Bianca on the death of his former wife Njide and his father-in-law former Governor C.C. Onoh with whom I was very close. I was very warmly received by the family and my leave taking on that occasion was so moving as the staff around showed much appreciation and love.

His eldest son, Chief Debe Odumegwu-Ojukwu, I have known from birth wrote a touching, endearing letter to inform me of his father’s demise which says it all ‘ …you may have fought a war against each other…a façade to the outside world, but to us the family, especially myself..you ingeniously remained friends till the very end. Let his death sooth and garner lasting peace for our country, Nigeria.. .’I say Amen! Let all say Amen!
When we learnt of his admission to hospital in London and I rang to speak to him, and or his darling wife Bianca, my call was answered by his young daughter, Ebele, who was the only one available at that time, holding the fort and keeping watch over her sick father.

She told me that Daddy was sleeping. We had a pleasant chat and I gave her a message, to tell Daddy that he had no right to be sick at this jostling time and that he should hurry and get well and out of the hospital and return home, so that we can continue and finish our fight. Ebele burst into an ecstatic laughter of understanding and promised to relay my message faithfully. Subsequently, I learnt from Ojukwu’s chief of staff that she faithfully relayed the message to the famiy,the mother and all that were there. I am sure the old soldier got the message and would have smiled- a smile of approval.

On learning of his death, I called to commiserate with the family His Chief of Staff, Bob who answered the call promised to relay the condolence message. I salute the memory of a brave soldier and a worthy friend. The only regret I have is that I did not make an effort to draft Emeka into our Nigeria Prays ministry to join me and many others in praying for Nigeria.

Who knows whether with his experience of the horrors of the civil war, and the powers of prayer, we would not have been saved the scourge of violence, bombing, kidnappings and mayhem being lately experienced in the nation. My prayer is that the Lord will have mercy on his soul and uphold the lovely family he left behind and grant Nigeria peace and love of one another.

I join all my Ndigbo brothers and sisters, living and dead, all Nigerians in mourning and celebrating their and Nigeria’s illustrious son, brother, friend and old colleague-Dim Chukwuemeka Odumegwu-Ojukwu.
Adieu dear brother and friend, Rest in Peace, till we meet again at your Lord’s presence.


Dr Yakubu Gowon.Thursday, March 08, 2012.The Sun Publishing.
Gen. Gowon (rtd), was former Head of State of Nigeria.

No comments:

Post a Comment